Re: Oracle, NT and norwegian characters

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:07:40 GMT

RG wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Can anyone help me on this one?
> My problem is that when I put norwegian characters (like æ,ø and å) in
> the Oracle db through my web-site (with ASP), all those special
> characters are converted to ?'s.
> Why is this happening?
> When I insert these characters via SQL*PLUS on Solaris the norwegian
> letters stays norwegian :), but when displayed on the web, they now
> suddenly changed to f's or some other character. I think this is not a
> Oracle problem, but more an NT, ODBC or maybe a PersonalWebServer
> problem.

<snip>
Most web servers do not know "special" characters, like æ,ø and å. These have to be "translated"; you can find an example in almost any HTML tutorial;
here's one:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/Advanced.html. ø should be presented
to the browser as &oslash; (or &#248; ), similar for æ: &aelig; and å: &aring;
Note that the ';' above belong to the code. You can do these translations in a packaged procedure; check out the owa packages
in the database (not installed by default...)

--
Gtrz,

Frank van Bortel