Re: Still OS Authentication

From: OraSaurus <granaman_at_not_home.com>
Date: 1999/01/24

Roger Westbrook wrote:

> I presented this problem earlier and got some great responses but I'm
> still not able to authenticate via the OS.
>
> Allow me to elaborate a little further...
>
> We are running Oracle 7.3.4 on AIX 4.1.5
>
> I added the line "os_authent_prefix=OPS$" to my initTEST.ora parameter
> file.
> I restarted the instance.
> I created a new Oracle user with the following syntax..
> create user OPS$user identified externally;

I didn't see the start of this thread, but are you saying you did this, and then tryed, as the Unix user "user" to do "$ sqlplus / " and couldn't connect? (Some of the other replies I've seen seem to be talking about OS role authentication.)

BTW: "identified externally" is not the key. It just makes it so that OS authentication is the only way you can connect. You can also do:

"SQL> create user ops$joe identified by blow;"

and the Unix user "joe" can now connect with "$ sqlplus / " Anyone can connect with "SQL> connect ops$joe/blow" or "$ sqlplus ops\$joe/blow".

Really...

  • OraSaurus --
  • Remove "not_" to reply... --