Still OS Authentication

From: Roger Westbrook <sidhe_at_home.net>
Date: 1999/01/22

I presented this problem earlier and got some great responses but I'm still not able to authenticate via the OS.

Allow me to elaborate a little further...

We are running Oracle 7.3.4 on AIX 4.1.5

I added the line "os_authent_prefix=OPS$" to my initTEST.ora parameter file.
I restarted the instance.
I created a new Oracle user with the following syntax..

        create user OPS$user identified externally; I created the AIX user "user"
I verified that dba_tables does in fact list user OPS$user as external I verified that the AIX user has the correct ORACLE_SID and has the correct path variables.

Using the AIX user "user" I can successfuly log into sqlplus with the following syntax
sqlplus system/manager
This only works so long as I specify a valid database authenticated username and password.

However, I fail to connect to sqlplus using the following syntax... sqlplus /

All of this takes place locally via telnet session.

The documentation says only that I need to set the OS auth prefix in the init.ora parameter file and restart the instance. Then I should be able to connect to the database with an OS user who's name matches the part of the Oracle username which follows OPS$. The example it gives is "sqlplus /" but this isn't working for me.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance! (again)
Roger Westbrook, rogue Sys Admin
Dollar General Corp
please reply to rwestbrook_at_dollargeneral.com