Badly installed Oracle

From: Graham Potts <graham_at_pncl.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/04

Hi,
When I received my copy of Oracle some weeks ago, I received only a CD.
The docs followed some weeks later but by then I had already worked out how to install it and had my application mostly up and running.

However, I didn't do some of the things which the install guide tells me I should have done such as creating a dba group on my system.

The current state of play is that all works ok, the other group has been taken as the dba group but since I am the only interactive user that is not a great problem.

I'd like to install again to clean all this up. Can I simply delete the ORACLE_HOME tree and reinstall. I have a database created and running on another disk which I need to keep. If I reinstall with an oracle account and a dba group, will there be anything about the database itself that will be missing given that I have now created all the tables etc using the account that I originally used to install from?

Also, I ran what I thought were the right .sql files to create the dba scripts etc but now when I run sqlplus I get all sorts of errors from pl/sql - the most significant being 'cannot find package fred.dbms_application'. This package was created by system and does exist, but obviously something else is wrong. Can I 'redo' all of that stuff at this stage, and if so what do I do?

Apart from all that.... it is running just fine!

Thanks,
Graham Potts Received on Mon Nov 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message