Index Rebuild <was SQL*Loader and DCL

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/04

In article <327B83C3.2968_at_hkpc.org>, "Lun Wing San (Oracle)" <sunny_at_hkpc.org> writes
>peter de roo wrote:
>
>> For our application we need to load large truncs of binary data into
>> the database. Using C programs this takes a while, so we are
>> considering the usage of SQLLoad with the direct path option.
>> To use this full automatic we have the following questions :
>> - How can i detect in DCL whether an SQLLoad job is terminated
>> successfull or with errors
>> - What actions do i have to take to restore the table and it's indexes
>> in an operational state and that in an automatic way. Preferably
>> without dropping and recreating the indexes.
>> - Does anybody have example-DCL for this usage.
>
>For the first question:
>If you think SQL*Loader is terminated unsuccessfully when there are some invalid
>data.
>In DCL, you can check the file sizes of bad files to detect whether there are
>increases or not after loading.
>
>For the second question:
>You can write a SQL*Plus or Sever Manager script to recreating the index. The
>command is
>ALTER INDEX index_name REBUILD. The index names can be lookup from USER_INDEXES.

How does an index rebuild differ to a straight create - is it faster, etc?

Andy
Andy Hardy (Internet: aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk, CIS: 100015,2603) PGP key available on request

Your computer account is overdrawn. Please authorize. Received on Mon Nov 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message