Re: Badly installed Oracle

From: Lun Wing San <wslun_at_hkpc.org>
Date: 1996/11/06

Graham Potts wrote:

> The current state of play is that all works ok, the other group has
> been taken as the dba group but since I am the only interactive user
> that is not a great problem.
>
> I'd like to install again to clean all this up. Can I simply delete
> the ORACLE_HOME tree and reinstall. I have a database created
> and running on another disk which I need to keep. If I reinstall with
> an oracle account and a dba group, will there be anything about the
> database itself that will be missing given that I have now created all
> the tables etc using the account that I originally used to install
> from?

  You can change the group to dba again. If you do not have a group named dba, you may (or may not) find some problems by using connect / as sysdba. If you are using UNIX as your Os, you can use "find" to change the group of all files.

  Besides, if you want to reinstall. You can delete the ORACLE_HOME tree but you need to keep the control file, redo log files, datafiles as well as the parameter file for the database you want to keep. Then, you restore the database following the recovery procedure. Alternatively, you can use export utility to achieve similar purpose.

--
Name        : Lun Wing San
Title       : Oracle developer of the Hong Kong Productivity Council