Re: WWW <-> Database query tools

From: Michael R. Van Geest <mrv_at_goldengate.net>
Date: 1996/10/07

Greetings.

Andy Ross wrote:

> We have a number of Oracle database tables that we would like to query
> through World Wide Web forms. For various reasons we are not going to be
> using Oracle Corp.'s Web Server. I would appreciate recommendations for
> any products that have proven successful for you in allowing users to
> interact with SQL based databases through web forms. Something that could
> capture the user
> query parameters, formulate the query, gather the data from the database, and
> present the results to the user in a web page based on the query results.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Andy Ross
> ross_at_mscf.med.upenn.edu

First question I would like to see is what is the platform that the Oracle databases reside on?

If that is Windows NT or Netware, then one option could be Cold Fusion by Allaire, Inc. (http://www.allaire.com). The current released version is 1.5.

Another option is if you have a Windows NT or 95 based web server, then you could make an ODBC link to the Oracle databases if they do reside on UNIX, etc. Also that is required is a ODBC link.

Cold Fusion uses the ODBC SQL model like DBweb, etc. It's very good at doing dynamic pages based on query results and is quite robust.

For what it's worth, I believe it's the market leader in the NT and Windows 95 markets.

But that is debateable like editors, OS's etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael R. Van Geest, Web Intranet Technology Consultant (mrv_at_goldengate.net,
web: http://www.goldengate.net/~mrv) Received on Mon Oct 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message