Re: OraPerl and SQL*Net V2

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_dlsun338.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/10/07

In article <3247EB85.3991_at_mailhost.fsic.ford.com>, Bill Meahan <wmeahan_at_mailhost.fsic.ford.com> writes:
|> David Peterschmidt wrote:
|> >
|> > We have been using sqlnet v1 with oraperl v2.4. We are switching to
|> > sqlnet v2 and oraperl doesn't seem to work (as it is) with the new
|> > two_task variables.
|> >
|> > Does anyone know whether or not oraperl v2.4 supports the sqlnet v2
|> > two_task descriptions?
|> >
|> > We have installed oraperl v2.4 but I don't know if it's been installed with
|> > perl4 or perl5 (we have both but...)
|> >

|> Odds are it's Perl 4 if it exists as "oraperl".
|>
|> Anyway, the key issue is what version of the Oracle libraries existed
|> on the machine your oraperl was compiled with at the time oraperl was
|> compiled. IF the libraries were only for SQL*Net V1, there is no way
|> your oraperl will support the V2 syntax. If oraperl was linked with V2
|> libraries, however, the "new" TWO_TASK format *will* work (but see the
|> following).
|>
|> HOWEVER (** WARNING WARNING WARNING **)
|> The SQL*Net V2 libraries expect to have an environment variable,
|> ORACLE_HOME defined and seem to expect to find a valid tnsnames.ora
|> file as
|> $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora

You can set the TNS_ADMIN environment variable to the directory where the tnsnames.ora file is, if you don't use the default. If $TNS_ADMIN isn't set, then $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin is used instead. $TNS_ADMIN is also where sqlnet.ora and listener.ora are looked for.

|> Depending on your machine setup, you may or may not have to make sure
|> this expected setup exists, even if you don't have a full Oracle install
|> on your machine. At least that's the way it works on my machines.
|>
|> Hope this helps!

Scott Urman Oracle Corporation surman_at_us.oracle.com

Author of _Oracle PL/SQL Programming_ ISBN 0-07-882176-2 Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm

"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of  Oracle Corporation"