Caldera Network Desktop (was:Re: SMP & threads for SQL queries)

From: Jost Boekemeier <jost_at_hercules.rz.charite.hu-berlin.de>
Date: 1996/09/09

In article <50vsqa$hl2_at_ibridge.iohk.com>,

        jwalters_at_igate.iohk.com (Jay Walters) writes:
>No problem. Buy Linux, get support, that's what I said. I didn't say

I never ment to start a flame war or something like that, but why do you think the support from Microsoft is much better than the support from Caldera?

>get a real person to support it when you need it - and for which you'll

That is what Caldera stands for. Ray Noorda (former CEO of Novell, Inc.) founded the company in 1984 to bring an "easy to use" network-aware software on the market and to support and sell it via internet and through traditional channels. The Caldera Network Desktop is based on the Linux Operating System.

>and tell me there is something without bugs - for sale or free.

That is what about 500,000 people on the internet stand for. Those people who write in linux.dev.kernel and other internet-groups, report bugs, approuvements (wrong spelling) and test the new kernels which are made available once per week through FTP.

Once a kernel is stable (i.e. no more bugs are reported), it is frozen with a version number of x.[0,2,4,6,8].x and devellopment continues to bring new features into linux with a version number x.k+1.x For example the current stable linux-kernel is 2.0.15 and the devellopment kernel is 2.1.0.

I don't think Microsoft has 500,000 beta-testers that can look into the code of WindowsNT and report bugs via internet.

Yes, every new software has bugs, but it is fair to say that Linux is much more stable than other software due to its special devellopment procedure, where *everyone* can look into the code and report bugs so that these bugs will be fixed immediatly.

The task of Caldera is to take a stable kernel, add software the business people need (like Word Perfect, Netware, Databases, Wabi etc.) and to sell and support "their" software.

See: http://www.caldera.com

Bye,
Jost Received on Mon Sep 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message