Re: SMP & threads for SQL queries

From: Jay Walters <jwalters_at_igate.iohk.com>
Date: 1996/09/09

No problem. Buy Linux, get support, that's what I said. I didn't say you shouldn't use Linux, as you can see in the snippet cut from my posting. I just said you should probably get a product for which you can get a real person to support it when you need it - and for which you'll likely have to pay.

It's not the product(s) I would recommend, but I'm not the one who has to answer the beeper when it breaks. And all systems break, so don't try and tell me there is something without bugs - for sale or free.

Cheers
Jay Walters

Jost Boekemeier (jost_at_rz.charite.hu-berlin.de) wrote:

: In article <50k1p1$bml_at_ibridge.iohk.com>,
: Jay Walters <jwalters_at_iohk.com> writes:

: >If this is a "real app" I would suggest using software you
: >have to pay for (sorry Linus, FSF, GNU, ...) at least for the
: >OS and RDBMS.

: Well... Take a look at Caldera's home-page: http://www.caldera.com/products/
: They DO sell their Linux (aka. Caldera Network Desktop).

: When one can run Caldera's Linux on his machine, there is no need to pay
: $500 for a OS that is less stable, but instead has other nice features ---
: features he will never need, when he just wants to run database.

: Look at http://www.softwareag.com/ADABASD/a-ux-pr.htm SAG, made their
: database available for Linux:

: Software AG's ADABAS D Will Be First Full-Function
: Database Available on Caldera's Linux Operating System

: Leading Price/Performance, Easy-to-Use RDBMS Now Available for the
: Popular Caldera Network Desktop...

: From my understanding, if you want to run "real applications", Linux
: should be your choice, when performance is required.

:
: >On Intel you can run Windows NT, Solaris,

: Gee, come on, you don't want do buy "cripple ware", which is limmited
: to about 10 IP connections at a time, do you? :^)

: Jost
: (No flames please...)