Re: Cold backup blues (UNIX)...

From: jared still <jared_at_valleynet.com>
Date: 1996/09/02

beatonb_at_cadvision.com (Bill Beaton) wrote:

<SNIP>

>This is an ORACLE BUG. If you look in the alert log during shutdown
>immediate, ORACLE will tell about a process that it can't kill. If you
>do a few selects on v$session, you will see that there are some ORACLE
>sessions, (maybe only one) where the serial# changes several times a
>second. Rather naturally the kill 'session,serial' command cannot
>work. ORACEL has never issued (to the best of my knowledge) a patch
>for this, nor even officially recognized it as a bad bug.
>Bill

Actually, they have acknowledged it. About 18 months ago, there suggested work-around was to do the 'shutdown abort - startup restrict - shutdown normal' routine.

This is how my 7.0 databases are shutdown for cold backups.

jared still                  ---- ___o
jared_at_valleynet.com       ----  _`\ <,_