Re: Cold backup blues (UNIX)...

From: M.Rapier <M.Rapier_at_shef.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/09/03

In article <506k21$67c_at_soap.news.pipex.net>, jb85_at_dial.pipex.com says...
>irvin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com (Tim Irvin) wrote:
>>Sometimes, "shutdown immediate" doesn't seem to work--Oracle hangs trying
>>to shut down. The datafiles get backed up--I'm not sure how much I trust
>>their integrity in this state--and when that happens, the startup fails
>>and the backup script is still going...

As far as I am aware a shutdown immediate will kick off all the users, but will also attempt to roll back any uncommitted transactions - if there is a problem with the rollback, then it may hang the DB. A shutdown abort just kills everything.

>>Some don't recommend it, but if it's a recurring problem, you could
>>replace a shutdown immediate with a shutdown abort, startup and shutdown
>>normal (or immediate).
>
>Tim, I get exactly the same problem - in fact, we had it so badly (ie
>90% of the time that we tried to do a cold backup), that we have now
>replaced the "clean" method of shutdown immediate with the shutdown
>abort, startup, and normal shutdown approach.
>
>I don't like it, but it seems to be the only way that we can bring the
>database down to do the backup, and guarantee that it is going to
>work.
>We have... HP-UX 9.04, Oracle 6.0.37.3.1
>Is it an HP-UX issue, do you think?

Possibly.

We've got scripts that get put into the background to check whether the shutdown (normal) has worked - if not they kill off all current connections associated with user processes, wait a bit more & if it still hasn't worked, they do an abort.

Cheers.
Martin.