Re: ORACLE 7 Server on NT

From: DAVID DEVEJIAN <djd_at_bank2000.com>
Date: 1996/08/14

Jun OZAKI <junio_at_yo.rim.or.jp> wrote in article <321088AF.58FB_at_yo.rim.or.jp>...
> I'm thinking a large database system where more than 10 users will
> dispatch transactions
> from the clients' PC at the same time.
> I prefer NT to Unix, because of its ease of maintenance, but a lot of
> people say any DB
> including ORACLE on NT works slowly when it is multitasking compared to
> Unix.
> Besides the defference of the hardware spec, is there any reason of the
> argument?

I have been working on two database systems, both running under Oracle 7 on NT. One is a reporting system, running complex queries for (on average) 3-4 users at a time. I have seen no significant degradation in performance, other than if a query runs 10 seconds if one person is running, it takes 25 if 3 people are running, which is only to be expected on a single processor machine.

The second uses mostly small transactions and table lookups. It also runs on a dual processor machine. I have not seen significant degradation on 5-10 users. However, we are still installing and building the system. I have yet to set up a formal load test.

I have heard however, that NT does have some problems in a multitasking environment, when the number of users is above 15-20. This however, is only rumor, although, I would not be surprised as I have seen similar problems with Microsoft products (SQL server, and IIS server).

Finally, as one using it, I would not be sure that Oracle on NT is easier to maintain than on Unix. Sure, in general NT is easier, however, under Unix, many DBA tasks can be scripted, whereas I am finding it difficult to script many tasks in NT.

Just my $0.02
-David Devejian
djd_at_bank2000.com Received on Wed Aug 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message