Re: ORACLE 7 Server on NT

From: Spamed <user_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1996/08/14

I recently implemented the same DB/App on both NT 3.51 Compaq ProSomething P100 and on a Sparc20 Solaris 2.5.

NT perform surprisingly well, considering it was a lowly P100, I got solid response for 5 - 15 processes on the simple stuff, however the system utilized a store procedure doing some heavy analysis - topping out the CPU on one call. Adding in a second CPU appeared to move the bottleneck to bus/disks. But not bad for a desktop machine ;)

Sparc's, of course are going to be faster, handle more client, but any idiot can administer an NT box, whereas you typically need special idi^h^h^h administrators for unix.

You may want to try a beefy NT box with P166+ and lotsa memory + spindles as a cheaper alternative to a Unix box. Make sure you get Oracle V7.3 (7.2- don't install all that cleanly on NT).

Martin

Technomation, Inc.

martinb_at_hooked.net Received on Wed Aug 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message