Re: Backup for Oracle 7.1 on Novell

From: Youri Podchosov <ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net>
Date: 1996/08/04

In article <4tq49p$i0d_at_usenet4.interramp.com>, pp003093_at_interramp.com (David W. LeJeune) wrote:
> I'm having problems getting ARCSERV by Cheyenne Software to successfully backup
> an Oracle 7.1 Database running as an NLM on a Novell 3.12 server. Backups up
> everything else, but says Oracle DB is corrupt. Oracle thinks the DB is OK.
> Same problem with other backup packages such as Backup Exec. Looking for
> support in Chicago area. HELP!!!!

Cheyenne sells a separate product for its ARCserve/Open server: it's called "Database Option" and is specifically intended for making hot backups of Oracle database systems. I don't know if such an addition exists for ARCserve/Open for Netware, but it definitely can be gotten for SCO and Solaris.

Basically doing straight (at the level of regular OS files) backup or copy of running Oracle database won't do any good in any case, so I wouldn't even waste my time on trying backup techniques that lack full Oracle-awareness.

| Youri N. Podchosov (ynp)    \\\    E-mail: ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net |
| UNIX Systems Administrator ))) WWW: http://ynp.dialup.access.net | | The Davidsohn Group, NYC /// B:(212)208-0129, H:(718)234-4140 |