Re: Backup for Oracle 7.1 on Novell

From: Chris John Wharton <cjw_at_morinda.cs.ntu.edu.au>
Date: 1996/08/05

In article <32057004.E78_at_ynp.dialup.access.net> Youri Podchosov <ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net> writes:
>In article <4tq49p$i0d_at_usenet4.interramp.com>, pp003093_at_interramp.com
>(David W. LeJeune) wrote:
>> having problems getting ARCSERV by Cheyenne Software to successfully backup
>> an Oracle 7.1 Database running as an NLM on a Novell 3.12 server. Backups up

>Cheyenne sells a separate product for its ARCserve/Open server: it's
>called "Database Option" and is specifically intended for making hot
>backups of Oracle database systems. I don't know if such an addition
>exists for ARCserve/Open for Netware, but it definitely can be gotten
>for SCO and Solaris.

I did an install last week of a product called 'DB Agent', onto a Netware 3.11 server. I believe this is probaly the same product with a different name. DB Agent switches tablespaces into backup mode before ArcServe takes it's backups, as well as taking backups of logs and control files at the end.

I hope to test the recovery side of things this week - until then I won't know how reliable it is, although it looks like it's doing the right things.

|  Chris Wharton            Student:     cjw_at_it.ntu.edu.au             |
|                           Oracle DBA:  chris.wharton_at_nt.gov.au       |