Re: Backup for Oracle 7.1 on Novell

From: David W. LeJeune <pp003093_at_interramp.com>
Date: 1996/08/04

In article <4tr13s$jp2_at_nntp.interaccess.com>, andre_at_interaccess.com says...

 W. LeJeune) wrote:
>>I'm having problems getting ARCSERV by Cheyenne Software to successfully
 backup

>>an Oracle 7.1 Database running as an NLM on a Novell 3.12 server. Backups up
>>everything else, but says Oracle DB is corrupt. Oracle thinks the DB is OK.
>>Same problem with other backup packages such as Backup Exec. Looking for
>>support in Chicago area. HELP!!!!
>>

>Hi David -
>
>I am not familiar with ArcServ, but I do know that with some packages,
>attempting to do hot backups without using the proper methodology will
>generate these types of errors.
>
>Are you attempting hot or cold backups?

>** Andre T. Allen * andre_at_interaccess.com **
>** SysAdmin/DBA * 74262.3572_at_compuserve.com **
>** Reid Psychological Systems * 312.938.9200 (Voice) **
>** Chicago, IL * 312.294.0104 (Fax) **
Occurs both on hot and cold backups. Not sure if the Oracle db file is corrupted when Arcserve first tries to backup a HOT file, or whether Oracle does it when it processes the first transaction against the file. Once the file is corrupt, Novell believes it's corrupt also, and wont copy it or move it. Sure has me scratching my head. Received on Sun Aug 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message