Re: Oracle7 32-bit Odbc driver for Visual Basic 4.0

From: Kumar Jandayala <kumarj_at_clientlink.com>
Date: 1996/07/03

Roger Koppang wrote:

> >>There seems to be a lot of difficulty using the Oracle ODBC driver
> >>with VB4. I have heard that it has something to do with the driver
> >>being Level 1 compatible but VB using Level 2 calls. Either way, it
> >>doesn't seem to work.
> >>
> >>I think this is Oracle's way of moving everyone to Oracle Objects for
> >>OLE (assuming they ever finish version 2).

> >Not true. Oracle has a 32bit ODBC driver. Check out www.oracle.com. Also,
> >OO4O 32bit was beta and I think may be production now. Again, check out
> >www.oracle.com.
>
> Well they tell you right on the web page that the Oracle drivers are
> ODBC version 1 level 1.
>
> I have those drivers working with VB4-32 but I can't get them to work
> with the AppendChunk method to put more than 16k of data into a LONG
> RAW column in the Oracle database. Anything greater than 16k and I
> get a GPF when I hit the update method for the dynaset. Any ideas on
> this one? If it would help I can post the code, but I didn't happen
> to bring it home from work with me today. This same code is working
> flawlessly with VB3 today.
>
> Roger Koppang
> rkoppang_at_iadfw.netIt seems that there are a lot of people out there trying to get a 32bit
odbc driver that can be used with RDO to talk to oracle. While some drivers kind of sort of work, not one driver does everything RDO is suppposedly capable of doing. I find a lot of postings on vb data access  listserv about this problem. Ofcourse, there are'nt many 'solution' postings for this problem.
We are in the process of evaluating middleware solutions for a oracle 7 vb4 application. Since RDO does not work and OLE objects are still in beta, we may potentially have to code at the odbc api level. We really would rather not do this!
If any of the odbc vendors can test their product with RDO and publish their results on the net with sample code, not only will the developer community appreciate it, but also they will pick up a lot of business. If others agree, can you all post a reply. Perhaps something may come of  it?

Kumar Jandayala.
ClientLink Corporation,
Alpharetta, GA. Received on Wed Jul 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message