Re: Error 12203 - As usual, doco is no help

From: Lance Hoover <hooverl_at_pdx.edu>
Date: 1996/06/03

Fuzzy wrote:

> Any one know what ORA-12203 is? Thanks to the wonderful organisation
> of Oracle's error doco, I don't have the text for this error.
>
> Ciao
> Fuzzy
> :-)
> Grant Allen | "Woo Hoo!"
> grant_at_towersoft.com.au | H. Simpson
> The contents of this post are my opinions only.
> If swallowed, seek medical advice.

Here, for what it's worth, which, by the way is nothing, is the full error message text:

12203, 00000, "TNS:unable to connect to destination"

// *Cause: Invalid TNS address supplied or destination is not listening.
// This error can also occur because of underlying network transport
// problems.
// *Action: Verify that the service name you entered on the command line
// was correct. Ensure that the listener is running at the remote node and
// that the ADDRESS parameters specified in TNSNAMES.ORA are correct.
// Finally, check that all Interchanges needed to make the connection are
// up and running.

Now, what you really need is a sub-error number because this error message basically says "SQL*Net doen't work". The sub-error message will come closer to pointing to the part of SQL*Net that is causing your error. If you are using SQL*Net 2.1 or greater try running tnsping.exe It should give you a different error number. Hopefully, that error number will point to the problem. Good Luck!

--
Lance Hoover                                        hooverl_at_pdx.edu
Systems Anaylst                                     (503)725-5894