Re: ODBC & Oracle -> Please Help!

From: Chris Glasser <chris.glasser_at_columbiasc.ncr.com>
Date: 1996/06/03

In article <31B05B10.896_at_dande.com>
Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_dande.com> wrote:

> Tyler Vallillee wrote:

>> If anyone is familiar with a problem like I am experiencing
>> I would appreciate a response.
>>
>> Last week I installed evaluation copies of the Oracle 7.1
>> Workgroup 2000 server, client, powerobjects, etc. on my NT
>> Workstation. All ran great and I have been creating and
>> accessing databases in Oracle without any problems.
>> I added the 16-bit Oracle ODBC driver and used it with the
>> Oracle test application with no problems.
>>
>> However, I now have a new database (R:BASE) that needs to access
>> the Oracle database via ODBC. R:BASE only uses 32-bit ODBC
>> drivers so I downloaded 32-bit ODBC drivers from the Oracle web
>> site and (after removing my 16-bit ODBC drivers) installed them.
>> They seemed to install fine.
>>
>> My problem is that I cannot get the 32-bit ODBC Oracle drivers
>> to work with ANY application I use. The Oracle ODBC test
>> program generates "Unable to connect" messages as does R:BASE.
>>
>> I downloaded Cold Fusion and their ODBC drivers to see if new
>> ODBC drivers would help. Unfortunately, they did not as they
>> too were unable to connect (these were Visigenic Oracle
>> drivers). I re-installed my 16-bit ODBC drivers and they worked
>> fine, but my 32-bit drivers still did not work.
>>
>> I think I must be suffering from some kind of configuration
>> problem. Has anyone else had the problem where the 16-bit ODBC
>> drivers seem to work fine with Oracle but 32-bit do not work??
>> I am desperate for help so if you know, prompt reply would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tyler
>> --
>> Tyler Vallillee | 3A Computer Science, University of Waterloo

>> Maintainer of SNMP and OLE Homepages! Visit them and other fun stuff at:
>> http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~tkvallil/index.html
>
> Tyler,
>
> I believe you need 32-bit SQL*NET to get the 32-bit ODBC to
> work.  You probably have 16-bit SQL*NET installed.  If you
> have the 32-bit SQL*NET installed, make sure it knows where
> your database is located (in TNSNAMES.ORA).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jay Hostetter
> jhostetter_at_dande.com
> DBA D. And E. Communications

OK, I have 32-bit SQLNET (version 2.1.3.0.0) and Oracle's 32-bit ODBC driver. When I try to connect to a remote Oracle database thru MS Access 7.0, I get the following error message:

ODBC Call Failed
ORA-00001:unique constraint (%.%) violated (#65535)

Connecting to the same database with the same connect string using 16-bit SQLNET 2.0.15 and 16-bit ODBC works fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris G.

Chris Glasser
NCR Corporation - we're BACK! (was : AT&T Global Information Solutions) chris.glasser_at_columbiasc.ncr.com Received on Mon Jun 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message