Re: Please recommend me a DB!

From: Alan Reinhart <res_at_mail1.netreach.net>
Date: 1996/05/26

Jeffrey A. Leinen wrote:

[snip]

> a 3gl language(COBOL and C). The 4gl has made my developers much more
> productive. I have also used the same Progress 4gl code unmodified
> against other RDBMS products such as DB2/400 DB2/MVS(ODBC) and
> DB2/6000(ODBC). The code has been deployed unmodified on Dos/Windows
> and IBM RS/6000 AIX. I am also the DB Admin for our 5 production
> Progress database servers and I couldn't imagine an easier RDBMS to
> maintain. My point is simply..."don't knock it unless you've used it".

I have used it and I would knock it with EXTREME PREJUDICE!!

Progress a very clumsy language, tends to promote long meandering procedures, can't even support indirection, requires incredible amounts of cpu and disk resources to run halfway decently... just for openers. I had to support two apps, went to Progress school at the corp headquarters in Bedford, (They did serve GREAT lunchs), and still loath the thought of the language.

Since you can't imagine an easier system to maintain, let me help you out. Try Omnis 7.3.5 using either (you choice) Mac's or PC's as workstations; Novell or Appleshare on a PPC Server.

Best regards -

Alan R. Received on Sun May 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message