Re: 1 TB _a day_ at CERN (was: 21 terabytes at NYNEX)

From: Akmal B Chaudhri <akmal_at_sarc.city.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/05/26

On Fri, 24 May 1996, Mark Rosenbaum wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSI.3.91.960517164133.16987A-100000_at_cripplecock.sarc.city.ac.uk>,
> Akmal B Chaudhri <akmal_at_sarc.city.ac.uk> wrote:
> >On Sun, 12 May 1996, Mark Rosenbaum wrote:
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >Mark,
> >
> >Your ideas are very interesting, but this 21 TB at NYNEX is insignificant
> >when compared to the 1 TB a day (5 PB a year for several decades) that
> >CERN will be generating for the next generation High Energy Physics (HEP)
> >experiments (the data is something of the order of 10^17 bytes). CERN will
> >be using an OODB (Objectivity/DB)!
> >
> >Any ideas that might help them?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >--
> Akmal,
>
> This sounds like it may be a tape library issue. I am assuming that CERN
> is NOT trying to put 150 PB online in the near future, or even 15 in the
> next 3 years. If that is the case then the data would reside on nearline
> tape robots and only the indexing info and currently used data would be
> on disk.
>
> So what is the disk requirement to go with the PB tape requirement?
>

> Mark Rosenbaum Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier
> mjr_at_netcom.com Consultants in High Performance and
> (303) 727-7956 Scalable Computing and Applications
> Boulder CO

Mark,

I think the tape robots would be the standard way to put such large quantities of data on-line, as you rightly suggest. I believe CERN are looking into various mass-storage technologies to interface with an OODB for the longer-term. I have no idea about disk requirements, though. Even if anyone wanted to put such large quatities on disks, it would probably cost such an enormous amount of money to do so that I guess practically nobody (except maybe the US military) could afford it. Also, I don't see how disk technology is really going to improve that much over the time that they want to conduct these tests.

Cheers,

        Akmal.

   / / | http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/ |
 _( (_ | mailto:akmal_at_sarc.city.ac.uk      |
 \       /

  \ _/ "If I hear the phrase 'everything is an object' once more,   / / I think I will scream."
 /___/                                     - Mike Stonebraker (1988)