Re: Please recommend me a DB!

From: Peter Headland <Peter_Headland_at_matrixlk.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/05/27

> Progress a very clumsy language, tends to promote long meandering
> [more rubbish deleted]

I think you are just showing your own ignorance/stupidity by talking such nonsense. Sounds like you started out with an "I'm not going to like this" attitude and twisted everything you saw to fit your prejudice.

I've used plenty of other languages and had my ration of SQL and Progress is easily the best tool I've seen for serious data manipulation and analysis. Indirection is hardly the most vital feature in a commercial application development tool! Concise, readable, maintainable db access code is what's needed and Progress delivers that superbly.

If you set out to write a compiler in Progress, I'd understand your comments, but that's not what it's designed for. Very few Progress users ever have to resort to a 3GL, which is more than you can say for any other "4GL's" I've encountered.

--
Peter Headland - Matrix Link Limited - Stoke-on-Trent, UK