Re: Usenet forgery being investigated

From: Jonathan Hill <zctlk45_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/05/01

John Sharman <jayshar_at_norvic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Still about on the servers, are they? You're kind of hinting at an
>attempt to stir up racial hatred. Is that what it was? If so, it's fair
>enough that the perpetrator be prosecuted, but that has nothing to do
>with the fact that he posted over your name.
>--
>Regards,
>
>John Sharman

There would seem to be dificulties in *prosecuting* this person. However, there does lie a civil remedy for malicious falsehood. There is certainly malice, and the falsehood lies in altering the apparent identity of the sender. Legal aid is available for this action. Sorry if this point has already been made, I missed most of the thread. That's between the forger and the person who is the victim of forgery. I agree that if racial abuse has been posted, there is a real possibility of criminal charges should the forger be found out.

Jonathan M. Hill [j.hill_at_ucl.ac.uk] |There is no advice here.

Dept. of Laws                       |Do not rely on this posting -
Univesity College London            |It'll end in tears..
http://www-server.bcc.ac.uk/~zctlk45/Bentham.html Received on Wed May 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message