Re: problem: multiple logins to server

From: Dave Mausner <d-mausner_at_nwu.edu>
Date: 1996/03/28

In article <4jbuk9$g1j_at_swlab1.msd.ray.com>,

   Stephen Wong <a48029_at_bccux01.msd.ray.com> wrote:
>I'm in a client/server environment with the RDBMS on a UNIX platform.
>Our problem is that users turn off their PC's without logging out
>gracefully. Their Oracle processes are still up and running. Then
>the user log sback in. Now he has 2 licenses. After
>a while, more and more people are doing this. How can I limit
>the number of logins to the server to just 1 per user?

in oracle7 you may assign an idle-time and a connection-count limit to a PROFILE, then assign that profile to selected usernames. if such a user shuts off his hardware without logging out, his process will die on idle time; if he reboots before idle timeout and logs in again, he will be prevented by the connect-count limit.

--
Dave Mausner, Consulting Manager, Braun Technology Group, Chicago.