Re: problem: multiple logins to server

From: Bill Beaton <willyb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/03/29

In article <4jbuk9$g1j_at_swlab1.msd.ray.com>,

        Stephen Wong <a48029_at_bccux01.msd.ray.com> writes:
>I'm in a client/server environment with the RDBMS on a UNIX platform.
>Our problem is that users turn off their PC's without logging out
>gracefully. Their Oracle processes are still up and running. Then
>the user log sback in. Now he has 2 licenses. After
>a while, more and more people are doing this. How can I limit
>the number of logins to the server to just 1 per user?

Assuming that you're using ORACLE 7:

	Create a profile for the user (or group of users) with limits
	for "SESSIONS_PER_USER" and "IDLE_TIME".

	Run a UNIX job, detecting which processes are 'SNIPED'.  Take the
	UNIX process ID and kill -9 the UNIX task.  BTW, you can't do this
	if the group of users is coming in using MTS.

	I've found that using the desired limit + 2 is a good choice.  i.e.,
	if you want to limit the user to 1 seat, limit him to 3.  This
	(at least in my environment) allows the kill SNIPED job to have an
	effect.

When the user has currently exceeded limits, a new login attempt will return an error message that no more licenses are currently available.

Bill

--
Names:	Bill Beaton			beatonb_at_cadvision.com
					Bill_Beaton_at_calgary.qc-data.com