Re: DB Backup on HP-UX 10.01

From: Jay Mehta <jvmehta_at_mra.ffx.mobil.com>
Date: 1996/03/27

Timo Haatainen <Timo.Haatainen_at_ttgroup.fi> wrote:
>I have found that fbackup is not a suitable utility for
>Oracle hot backups. This is because fbackup recognizes 'files
>in use' during backup and retries backup it again.
>Needless to say, Oracle-files are usually heavily accessed. So I
>use tar for db backups (hot ones).
>
>Timo Haatainen

Could you please explain in more details why fbackup is not suitable for Oracle hot backup?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but Oracle datafiles are not in use during hot backup. Instead redo logs get all the traffic. We use fbackup to backup hot as well as cold datafiles on HP/UX 10.

Jay Mehta
DBA Received on Wed Mar 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message