Re: DB Backup on HP-UX 10.01

From: Timo Haatainen <Timo.Haatainen_at_ttgroup.fi>
Date: 1996/03/27

Mark wrote:

> Does anyone have a war story concerning database backups
> and restoring??? Which utilities are the best and which
> should be avioded (cpio, tar, dd, dump, fbackup....)?
> Any problems on restoring a database only to find
> your backup was unusable?
> Thanks.
>
> Mark Preston
> System/Database Administrator

I have found that fbackup is not a suitable utility for Oracle hot backups. This is because fbackup recognizes 'files in use' during backup and retries backup it again. Needless to say, Oracle-files are usually heavily accessed. So I use tar for db backups (hot ones).

Timo Haatainen Received on Wed Mar 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message