Re: DB Backup on HP-UX 10.01

From: Timo Haatainen <Timo.Haatainen_at_ttgroup.fi>
Date: 1996/03/28

Jay Mehta wrote:

> Timo Haatainen <Timo.Haatainen_at_ttgroup.fi> wrote:
> >I have found that fbackup is not a suitable utility for
> >Oracle hot backups. This is because fbackup recognizes 'files
> >in use' during backup and retries backup it again.
> >Needless to say, Oracle-files are usually heavily accessed. So I
> >use tar for db backups (hot ones).
> >
> >Timo Haatainen
>
> Could you please explain in more details why fbackup is not suitable for
> Oracle hot backup?
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but Oracle datafiles are not in use
> during hot backup. Instead redo logs get all the traffic. We use fbackup
> to backup hot as well as cold datafiles on HP/UX 10.
>
> Jay Mehta
> DBA
I don't more about the matter than that I tried to use fbackup for a hot backup and fbackup tried to backup at least twice some datafiles (200 MB+). I called Oracle Support and HP. If I remember right Oracle said that there may be some changes to datafile even if it is said to be backed up (status of file etc... (I don't know)). And that's why fbackup tries to read the file again.
If I were you I would check the logs produced by fbackup to ensure there is no retries on datafiles. If none then no problem, otherwise I would consider to change the tool (now I use tar for hot datafiles, otherwise fbackup).

Timo Haatainen Received on Thu Mar 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message