Re: Any way to avoid SQL*net for a dial-in application?

From: Hugo Toledo, Jr. <hugo_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1996/03/28

Cobus Theunissen wrote:
> Can Oracle Mobile Agents REPLACE SQL*Net? Can you actually use an existing client
> application (that uses SQL*Net) and change it to use Mobile Agents without changing the
> client? I guess not, but any information would be appreciated. I am also trying to find
> out about a product called SQL*Net ASYNC that might be used over dialup....

No. Oracle Mobile Agents does not provide a TNS replacement to SQL*Net. Your application would have to be modified to accomodate OMA. It is not appropriate for highly interactive, realtime processing. It is especially appropriate for mobile and multiple connection (CDPD/Mobitex/LAN-based/off-line) applications.

As for SQL*Net ASYNC, I recently posted something on this as well. SQL*Net ASYNC was, predominately a V1 product. There was a beta version of the Async Protocol Adapter for use with SQL*Net V2, but the product never went into production.

SQL*Net ASYNC and the ASYNC Protocol Adapter will no longer be supported after December  31, 1996. Oracle is providing a free license transfer to SQL*Net Version 2 TCP/IP protocol adapter to Oracle supported Async Protocol Adapter customers.

If you are under support, check out the Oracle Alert, Document ID 9666978.61, on this item. It was released December 20, 1995.

--
Hugo Toledo, Jr.   Author of "Oracle Networking" from Oracle Press
312.951.8012               Oracle WebSystem - Oracle Mobile Agents