Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: Curt Olson <clolson_at_jade.me.umn.edu>
Date: 1996/02/09

>>Bill Wendling wrote:
>>>
>>> Alberto Maurizio Chavan inexplicably wrote:
>>>
>>> } Education:
>>> } University degree in Computer Sciences or equivalent.
>>>
>>> I always love it when people ask for such and such degree in CS. Didn't
>>> one of the people who started up Apple not have a degree in CS until
>>> long after the company get started? :) And look at The Gates!

>>Agreed. I'm a 16-year old junior in high school (employed by an ISV for
>>2.5 years) and it bugs me that people assume that one must have a
>>college degree to be a good job candidate. I'd hope that if I were
>>looking for a job this would not hinder me. Let the prospective
>>employee's ability speak for itself.
>>- Brian Stoler
>>- brian_at_feith.com

I agree with you as well, but take a quick look at the employer's perspective. How does an employer judge a candidate's abilities? Usually, they base their decisions on only a resume and an interview or two. Given the limited info an employer has with which to make decisions, showing that you can be successful in school shows that you have the tools to be successful in a job. This might be what it takes to set you above the competition.

This doesn't make it right or good, but what else is an employer to do? They can't be expected to just "know".

Curt.

--
Curtis Olson   E-mail: clolson_at_me.umn.edu
Try Linux!     WWW:    http://www.me.umn.edu/home/clolson/main.html