Re: How did YOU get started?

From: Bob Blizard <rblizard_at_bb.cmcsys.com>
Date: 1996/01/16

hartwell_at_atl.mindspring.com (Hartwell Hooper) wrote:

>Just taking a little survey:
>
> How did you get started using/developing for Oracle?
>
> was it through a course in a university?
> entry level work experience?
> trade school?
> other?
>
>it seems to be a difficult thing to get started in. Any advice for
>people thinking about getting their feet wet for career advancement?

I don't know about others, but I slipped in by being willing to take on new challenges... I was a dBASE programmer & Novell system admin who volunteered to get our company a UNIX platform and RDBMS for a new project. I read a lot, asked a lot of questions, and played, played, played. Development for that was done by DG Consulting, but I did much of the follow-on support & development/maintenance. From there it was an easy :-) step to PowerBuilder, DBA and systems consulting.

The key is, opportunity is whre you find it and act on it.

Bob Blizard    rblizard_at_cmcsys.com     | All these worthwhile
CMC Systems                            | opinions are mine, and
175 Littleton Rd Westford, MA 01886 | not necessarily CMC's... Ph (508) 392-1300 Fax (508) 392-1303 | "If you want to park in the first row of life,

             go there first to look." Received on Tue Jan 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message