Re: How did YOU get started?

From: Dan Bikle <dbikle_at_rahul.net>
Date: 1996/01/17

>on new challenges... I was a dBASE programmer & Novell system admin
>who volunteered to get our company a UNIX platform and RDBMS for a new
>project. I read a lot, asked a lot of questions, and played, played,
>played. Development for that was done by DG Consulting, but I did
>much of the follow-on support & development/maintenance. From there it
>was an easy :-) step to PowerBuilder, DBA and systems consulting.

Dan writes:

This is the classic OJT route.
I'll bet he spent hundreds of hours interacting with the products. That's what I needed.

The training I got only scratched the surface.

I was like a deer on the highway facing a pair of headlights after that first forms 2.x class in 1987.

People who want to learn databases at home would be very tempted to go the PC/Windows/SQL Server/Visual Basic route rather than the Sun/UNIX/Oracle/Oracle*Tools path.

The difference in cost is substantial.

Hence, a big shortage of Oracle techies.

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle/Independent Oracle Consultant dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu | 415/941-6276 | P.O. BOX 1401 LOS ALTOS CA 94023 http://www.rahul.net/dbikle