DataBase program for Web site

From: Hugo Acosta <hats_at_servtech.com>
Date: 1996/01/13

This is my first time porting a message, and I am new in this Newsgroup.

I need know if there is a pre-designed software program (UNIX based I believed) that can act as
a Database Search engine in a specific Web site, where it could manipulate (search and query)
specific data that is periodically updated and input from an external source. In other words, I
want to put our store items information on the Web (our future site), where the Internet Browser
will be able to search, query, and may be order any of those items. The PC Based system we
have in house will be updated weekly, in order to also update this available information.
Although we feel our store system is pretty advanced (automatic Inventory control, price
changes, scanning transmittal, etc.), we don't want to have these two systems (the PC database
and the Web's) to be constantly changing (like continuos "on-the-fly" revisions) this might
require to have our own server and it will be too expensive.

We think we could just place a program that will serve as a Search Engine for our Web-site
visitors (in our Internet provider's server), and periodically (let's say weekly), we could input (or
replaced) the material of this database, for the new and revised data. WE JUST DON'T KNOW
WHAT DATABASE PROGRAM TO place in our Internet Provider's server. Our large Fox-pro
file will be converted into a compatible format that will work with this program I'm looking for
and then may be we'll Telnet to make the change.

Can anybody from this group give an idea of existing programs for this particular Internet
application..? I'm sure there are popular names or organizations that I just don't happen to know
because of my ignorance in this (UNIX based) field.

I would appreciate a direct answer to my E-mail address (hats_at_servtech.com).

Thanks for your help and response.

HUGO ACOSTA Received on Sat Jan 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message