Re: DataBase program for Web site

From: Bob Kostello <kostello_at_hookup.net>
Date: 1996/01/21

Hugo Acosta wrote:

> This is my first time porting a message, and I am new in this
> Newsgroup.
>
> I need know if there is a pre-designed software program (UNIX based I
> believed) that can act as
> a Database Search engine in a specific Web site, where it could
> manipulate (search and query)
> specific data that is periodically updated and input from an external
> source. In other words, I
> want to put our store items information on the Web (our future site),
> where the Internet Browser
> will be able to search, query, and may be order any of those items.
> The PC Based system we
> have in house will be updated weekly, in order to also update this
> available information.
> Although we feel our store system is pretty advanced (automatic
> Inventory control, price
> changes, scanning transmittal, etc.), we don't want to have these two
> systems (the PC database
> and the Web's) to be constantly changing (like continuos "on-the-fly"
> revisions) this might
> require to have our own server and it will be too expensive.
>
> We think we could just place a program that will serve as a Search
> Engine for our Web-site
> visitors (in our Internet provider's server), and periodically (let's
> say weekly), we could input (or
> replaced) the material of this database, for the new and revised data.
> WE JUST DON'T KNOW
> WHAT DATABASE PROGRAM TO place in our Internet Provider's server. Our
> large Fox-pro
> file will be converted into a compatible format that will work with
> this program I'm looking for
> and then may be we'll Telnet to make the change.
>
> Can anybody from this group give an idea of existing programs for this
> particular Internet
> application..? I'm sure there are popular names or organizations that
> I just don't happen to know
> because of my ignorance in this (UNIX based) field.
>
> I would appreciate a direct answer to my E-mail address
> (hats_at_servtech.com).
>
> Thanks for your help and response.
>
> HUGO ACOSTA
Open Text Corporation has something that you might be interested in. There search engine is being used similar to WebCrawler, Lycos, etc.; however, they have the ability to search LAN's within a specific site and produce search results from it. To check out the site;

http://www.opentext.com

P.S. I don't work for the company. Received on Sun Jan 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message