Re: Does Distributed Option (in Oracle) Handle Mirroring?

From: Christian Metzler <cme_at_magnet.at>
Date: 1995/12/01

What you what to do is not necessarily a feature of the distributed option, but can be done via snapshots. The snapshots were included in the Oracle Server
product before they invented the "marketing feature" "Distributed option". Basically the distributed option is a feature that allows any database  to do remote updates on other databases via SQL*NET in a transaction consitent manner.

There is also another "feature" called "Advanced Replication option", which theoretically
can do a kind of mirroring from one database site to multiple other updateable sites.

Basically all these "options" consist of a lot of triggers and PL/SQL Packages.

We did a lot of experiments with snapshots and advanced replication feature.  Our conclusio is:
Dont rely on the snapshots or advanced replication features because in the case of a failure you always:
- have to manually purge the snapshot logs or other things

  • or even retransmit the whole table information

At this stage of development this "ready made Oracle Replication features" cannot be recommended for
productive use, except when you want to mirror one single table to a second site.

BUT: with the oracle standard mechanisms like triggers, PL/SQL, messages and pipes
you can easily implement a mirroring or replication feature that is customized for
your needs. Thats the way we have choosen.

Hope this helps, chris
cme_at_magnet.at
Austria/Vienna/Europe Received on Fri Dec 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message