Re: Does Distributed Option (in Oracle) Handle Mirroring?

From: Dave Quinn <dquinn_at_uk.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/12/08

>At this stage of development this "ready made Oracle Replication features"
>cannot be recommended for
>productive use, except when you want to mirror one single table to a second
>site.

There are a number of large production sites using the technology who would probably disagree with your findings!

>BUT: with the oracle standard mechanisms like triggers, PL/SQL, messages and
>pipes
>you can easily implement a mirroring or replication feature that is
>customized for
>your needs. Thats the way we have choosen.

Have to disagree with this: to perform any sort of transaction involving a number of databases you need a two-phase commit mechanism to ensure that all databases remain in sync (dont have parts of a transactions commiting on one site and not at others because the network went down etc). The two-phase commit protocol *IS* the Distributed Option - so you will need it whether you choose to use snapshots (which use it) or triggers & PL/SQL. 2PC is *automatically* used whenever you involve 2 or more databases: there is no extra coding involved.

Cheers,

Dave Received on Fri Dec 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message