Re: Personal Oracle - Stack Overflow

From: A little left of plumb <dwyche_at_giant.intranet.com>
Date: 1995/10/27

In article <308FA42B.2851_at_nowhere.com>, TSims <TSims_at_nowhere.com> writes:

> I had the same problem when I first installed PO7. Everytime I
> did the least little thing it would crash (either GPF or Stack
> Overflow). I tried reinstalling PO7 but it was still the same.
>
> I was about to throw the damn thing in the trash when I began to
> wonder if perhaps the problem was with other software that had
> been installed on the PC. This particular PC had been used for
> some tests using some remote control software (Remotely
> Possible) as well as a network telemetry/control package. I
> thought that the installation of other software products may
> have replaced some of the windows dll's and that the
> replacements were causing the problem. I was never able to
> prove this, but after I wiped the hard disk, reinstalled DOS
> 6.22, reinstalled W4W3.11, reinstalled PO7WIN, I never had the
> problem again.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Tom.

PO7 stack overflows are a known problem with Gateway Pentiums and STB video cards. If you have that combination the only workaround seems to be to avoid the STB metadriver. That is you can run with generic VGA (yuck) or one specific STB driver for one specific resolution. You lose the ability to switch resolutions using the metadriver. Curiously the problem doesn't show up on Gateway 486s using STB cards... only Pentiums.

david Received on Fri Oct 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message