Re: Personal Oracle - Stack Overflow

From: A little left of plumb <dwyche_at_giant.intranet.com>
Date: 1995/10/30

In article <4730np$ler_at_madison.tdsnet.com>, Steve Kurtenbach <steven.kurtenbach_at_teldta.com> writes:

> dwyche_at_giant.intranet.com (A little left of plumb) wrote:

[munch]

>>PO7 stack overflows are a known problem with Gateway Pentiums and STB video
>>cards. If you have that combination the only workaround seems to be to avoid
>>the STB metadriver. That is you can run with generic VGA (yuck) or one
>>specific STB driver for one specific resolution. You lose the ability to
>>switch resolutions using the metadriver. Curiously the problem doesn't show
>>up on Gateway 486s using STB cards... only Pentiums.

> I've got a Compaq deskpro XL 100 MHZ pentium and am experiencing the same
> problems. Are you sure it is video related? I can't seem to shake it.
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,

I don't have my PO7 manual handy but I seem to remember something about MS Sound System using a driver that causes stack overflows. It's mentioned early in the manual in the installation section. I seem to remember that Oracle may have a replacement driver available...

The stuff about Gateways I got from Oracle TS and I can confirm that at least around here we only get the stack overflows on Gateway Pentiums running the STB video meta-driver. FWIW, I've loaded PO7 on a variety of Gateway, Dell, and DEC PCs without a hitch except for the above configuration.

Wish I could help more, and let us know when you find the problem...

Good luck, david Received on Mon Oct 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message