Re: Oracle Report output to non-postscript file?

From: William Kaufman <wkaufman_at_wkaufman.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/10/27

In article <46reo2$r07_at_niven.ksc.nasa.gov> Jerry Murr <jdm2_at_lsdn2.ksc.nasa.gov> writes:
] Oracle Report seems only to be able to generate output in a
] postscript format. Many of the reports I need to generate
] are to be used as input files to other software, so a
] postscript format is useless! Is there a way to generate
] a report in plain text format from Oracle Report?

    This is on Motif or character-mode, right? If you're talking Windows or Mac, all you need are the right driver(s). Contact your vendor for more info.

    On Motif/CM, there's support for plain text in there already (at least starting with Developer/2000): just select "ASCII 1" from the "Printer Type" poplist in the "Choose Printer" dialog. In the "Page Setup" dialog, you can also select whether you want cheezy ASCII "line drawing" (i.e., "|", "-" and "+").

    (You'll probably want to configure your uiprint.txt and set your ORACLE_PRINTER variable to avoid selecting the printer type every time.)

    And, there are shareware/freeware utilities (like GhostScript and PBM) that can convert PostScript output to any format you like. If you still need something like this, I can dig up info on where you can get them.

    (In the next full release on Motif/CM, we'll also support PCL. To forstall questions, I dunno when it'll be out there,...)

  • Bill K.
Bill Kaufman,          | "Patience is a virtue.  Seersucker is a fabric."
wkaufman_at_us.oracle.com |                                   -- Bazooka Joe