RE: Oracle as a back-end for MS Access?

From: Bill Glass <glassb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1995/10/20

In article <814036481snz_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>, Tom Cooke <Tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk> says:

>In article <00001a1b+000036d4_at_msn.com> daveihle_at_msn.com "David Ihle" writes:
>
>> I've had some success using an Oracle7 ODBC driver along with the
>> MS-Access Jet engine to access an Oracle RDBMS. There are no serious
>> bugs, but there are definitely performance issues (its rather
>> difficult to measure the degradation).
>>
>> This type of architecture allows any language that can write to the
>> Access Jet Engine (e.g. VB, Access Basic) to have access to the
>> Oracle database.
>>
>Maybe I'm wrong (I only got this working today) but seems to me that
>you only get "read" access to data in a remote database using
>Access => ODBC => SQL*Net TCP/IP (Windows) => SQL*Net TCP/IP (Unix) => Oracle
>I get a message "This record set cannot be updated". Whereas if you point
>Access at a Personal Oracle7 database on your PC, you can change things.
>Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree...
>--
Access is perfectly able to insert, update or delete Oracle table data thru ODBC/TcpIP/SqlNet.

Before you attach to the Oracle table from Access make sure there is a unique index on the Oracle table (using Oracle DDL)

OR (believe it or not...)

execute an MS Access query (not a pass-thru query) such as "CREATE UNIQUE INDEX X on AttachedTableName (column A, B,,,)" before trying to update the record. This type of index is local to the Access database and does not actually exist in the Oracle database.

Bill. Received on Fri Oct 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message