Re: Disabling Rollback segments

From: Jonathan Lewis <Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/10/20

In article <465j6h$8j7_at_bcrkh13.bnr.ca> gwong_at_nortel.com "Gary Wong" writes:

: I am trying to disable a transaction from using rollback. I am updating a
: large temp table with a single update statement and the rollback segments
: are too small to handle it.

There may be, but I haven't investigated whether it could work and what the side-effects might be. Basically you could try to abuse the 'discrete transaction' capability built into v7.

See App Dev Guide A-5 onwards for details. It seems that if you call your update a discrete transaction, and it falls within the constraints described in the above, it won't generate any rollback it will simply generate redo in memory.

Of course, Oracle expects you to update only a few blocks in a discrete transaction, and does not expect you to re-read the blocks in consistent mode whilst the transaction is running. So if your transaction affects columns in an index then anything might happen, also the size of your update might simply cause a massive memory soak as the in-memory redo is generated.

If this works, let us all know.

--
Jonathan Lewis