RE: Oracle as a back-end for MS Access?

From: Tom Cooke <Tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/10/18

In article <00001a1b+000036d4_at_msn.com> daveihle_at_msn.com "David Ihle" writes:

> I've had some success using an Oracle7 ODBC driver along with the
> MS-Access Jet engine to access an Oracle RDBMS. There are no serious
> bugs, but there are definitely performance issues (its rather
> difficult to measure the degradation).
>
> This type of architecture allows any language that can write to the
> Access Jet Engine (e.g. VB, Access Basic) to have access to the
> Oracle database.

Maybe I'm wrong (I only got this working today) but seems to me that you only get "read" access to data in a remote database using Access => ODBC => SQL*Net TCP/IP (Windows) => SQL*Net TCP/IP (Unix) => Oracle I get a message "This record set cannot be updated". Whereas if you point Access at a Personal Oracle7 database on your PC, you can change things. Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree...

--
Tom Cooke