Re: ** Barcodes using ReportWriter 2.0? **

From: David Schmitt <dschmitt_at_flowbee.interaccess.com>
Date: 1995/09/28

Mark Citron (mark_at_neurosci.usc.edu) wrote:

: I have been looking into printing bar codes for the past few months and
:have not come up with annything! : It seemed that the easies way might be
:to acquire a bar codes print cartridge for the HP printer and just include
: the approriate escape sequences in reportwriter but it turns out that
:those cartridges are no longer being made.

: If ANYONE has any info on how to do bar codes on a unix system, I would
:appreciate hearing from you!

The best way to do this (bar coding from within Unix) is to have a printer that has bar code fonts. I recently set up an Oracle application that prints EDI compliant shipping labels running on SCO Unix. Since bar codes are graphic and depend on the printer, the form and the data, you'll almost always end up writing custom code to massage the data coming out of the database.

While I was developing this application I looked at a few Unix-based forms-printing packages that supported bar code generation. I was not impressed. It was cheaper (and more robust) to get dedicated thermal-transfer label printers that supported the bar codes we needed. Received on Thu Sep 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message