Re: SQL*NET on Macintosh using SLIP/PPP

From: Eric Knapp <EricKnapp_at_ccmail.wpl.com>
Date: 1995/09/28

In article <dimeglio-2709950843370001_at_dimeglio.dialup.emr.ca>, dimeglio_at_emr.ca (A. DiMeglio) wrote:

> Is a SLIP/PPP connection supported using SQL*NET 2.x for Macintosh?
>
> Using the standard installation process and configuration causes SQL*DBA
> to crash the Mac if attempting to connect via SLIP.
>
> Has anyone tryed this successfully? Any special configuration required?
>
> Please reply by mail and in this newsgroup if possible.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Aniello.
> dimeglio_at_nrcan.gc.ca

I can't answer your question but our setup works. We use a Shiva LanRover ARA server which can pass TCP/IP. SQL*Net works fairly well over this setup. The only problem is that quiting SQL*Plus can sometimes hang my Mac requiring a restart. However, everything works fine until then. Performance is actually fairly good. I can sometimes approach 1/3 of the speed of the network.

-Eric

--
Eric Knapp
Wisconsin Power & Light