Re: Need advice for secure database backups.

From: David Sidwell <dasidwel_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/09/21

I can't see how you would perform an export from a connected internal SQLDBA session ?

I know some UNIX platforms have a habit of displaying argv values in ps output, they should really be discouraged from doing that.

Anyway, to avoid having to embed a un/pw in export scripts, or to have to run it interactively and risk ps display, create a DBA type user who is identified externally (i.e. by the Operating System). Then have a C program (owned and setuid to this new DBA user) issue the 'exp / full=y' etc. command.