Re: Need advice for secure database backups.

From: Ari Kaplan <akaplan_at_flowbee.interaccess.com>
Date: 1995/09/20

cuppettm_at_richmond.infi.net (Michael S. Cuppett) writes:

>Environment: Oracle 7.x on a HP H40 running HP-UX 9.0.4

>What is the most secure method of backing up a database? I need to
>implement backups that will include exports and operating system backups.
>I don't want to embed passwords into shell scripts or parfiles, nor do I
>want to run the backup from the command line because the loginid/password
>can be seen with the ps command.

>I looking at cron as a possiblity. Any advice would be appreciated.

>Thanks!
>--
>Michael S. Cuppett
>cuppettm_at_richmond.infi.net
>Oracle Database Manager
>Department of Information Technology
>City of Richmond, Virginia

There are many secure ways to do a backup of an Oracle database. Definitely avoid hard-coding passwords anywhere. A common method would be to use the "connect internal" function of SQLDBA in scripts to avoid using passwords. Only users in the dba group would be able to use the script. For example, to start the database, you can put in your script:

sqldba << EOF
connect internal;
startup;
EOF
Hope this helps!

-Ari Kaplan
akaplan_at_interaccess.com Received on Wed Sep 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message