Re: Terrible Technical Support

From: Irvin Betts <gato01_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/08/03

In <274476403wnr_at_ombomb.demon.co.uk> "F.Frederick Skitty" <Igotan_at_ombomb.demon.co.uk> writes:

>As my learned Australian colleague (Gordon Hooker) said, if Oracle are
>busy dealing with customers who decided that their data is important
 and
>have paid for more than the bogo standard support, then everyone else
 will
>have to wait, rightly so.
>
>So many companies reach for the phone at the first sign of an error,
 when
>they could so easily not have to if they had someone experienced
in-house to deal with it (or maybe even to prevent it happening in the first place

I disagree with that statement. I have been working with Oracle products since version 4 and have had a history of bad technical support. In my current position, my company has a 7x24 database situation and silver support - we recently had a problem with the database and I received the same level of non-support when I called re the "downed production system" option....I generally do not call Tech Support until I have exhausted all other options - unfortunately, most of the time they are unable to help me and I must start contacting other oracle people to find an answer.

Right now, I have a problem configuring one of my databases because of a bug in their configuration scripts that they are (currently) unwilling to fix - causing dangerous delays in completing the final phase of a production system upgrade.
>--

While it is true that the situation you described happens, Oracle (non) technical support happens even to the good ones.