Re: Forms 4 and 4.5 for Mac: how much client RAM needed?

From: Alan Johnson <alan.johnson_at_gel.com>
Date: 1995/07/23

Robert Blakeley <blakeley_at_biosci.uq.edu.au> wrote:
>We are using an Oracle 7+/Unix database to manage student assignments.
>The client computers for drawing assignments and for keying in the
>answers are Macintosh LCII computers (68030, using System 7.1) with 10
>Mbyte RAM (maximum possible) and an 80 Mbyte hard drive. The database
>and TCP/IP network operate superbly, but the LCII computers are greatly
>underpowered for the job.

>Question 3: Do you have any (other) suggestions to speed up our printing
>process?

Is there any way for you to set up a "fast" mac that can act as the report spooler? That is to say, submit jobs to that Mac's report=
 engine, rather than running them locally. Just a thought... We don't use SQL Reports for this and many other similar reasons. We wr=
ite reports in Perl, and run them on a system similar to the DB engine. The requests are generated by inserting into a table that th=
e report engine polls.

HTH alan

>Robert L. Blakeley Tel 61-7 3365 4612 Fax 61-7 3365 4699
>Associate Professor
>Centre for Protein Structure, Function and Engineering
>Department of Biochemistry
>University of Queensland
>Brisbane, Queensland 4072 AUSTRALIA blakeley_at_biosci.uq.edu.au

Alan Johnson                            MIS Director
email: alan.johnson_at_gel.com             General Engineering Labs
v: (803) 556-8171 f: (803) 766-1178     2040 Savage Road, Charleston,SC 29414