SQL*Net, ODBC, and PO7 questions....

From: Cobus Theunissen <jtheun_at_sapient.com>
Date: 1995/07/23

Hi,

I am writing an application that has to run on both Oracle 7.1.6 (on Solaris through SQL*Net2.1), and on Personal Oracle 7 on a Laptop computer (through ODBC).

I managed to get the application to run on both platforms, but I have the following questions:

1.) Can I use the SQL*Net driver on the Laptop to connect to PO7? The laptop has TCP/IP and can connect to the database on the Solaris machine, but I don't know if PO7 can take TCP/IP connections...)

2.) Are there any guidelines as to how to write your queries so that it will work on ODBC as well as through SQL*Net?

3.) The PO7 database takes quite a while to start up (about 90 seconds on the NEC Versa 66MHz 486). What is the best way to determine whether it is up and running? I want to connect AFTER the database is started up...

Thanks for any help
Ciao
Cobus

Cobus Theunissen                                Tel: (617) 876 8105 (H)
jtheun_at_sapient.com                                         374 3613 (W)
======  Sapient Corporation, 1 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA